Flying Colors Butterfly Festival
Saturday, June 7, 2014
10am – 3pm
Sunday, June 8, 2014
12pm – 5pm
$12 General Public/$8 CNC Members
CNC Members can purchase their tickets in advance beginning May 23rd at the Visitor Services Desk in the Discovery Center.
The Flying Colors Butterfly Festival delights everyone all weekend at the Chattahoochee Nature Center when the air fills with the beating wings of hundreds of beautiful butterflies!
Join us for this very important fundraising event for the Chattahoochee Nature Center!
BEAUTIFUL LIVE BUTTERFLIES
- Live Butterfly Releases—Thrill to the release of live butterflies on Saturday and Sunday
- Saturday Release Times: 11:00am and 1:30pm
- Sunday Release Times: 1:30 and 3:30pm
- Butterfly Encounter – Explore our live butterfly encounter in a walk-through exhibit where you will have contact with hundreds of free-flying butterflies!
- Butterfly Crafts and Face Painting – We have crafts for everyone! Kids can get their faces painted with beautiful butterflies and creepy caterpillars!
- Butterfly Sidewalk Art – Butterflies provide the perfect inspiration for our on-going art project. Create a “butterfly path” from the Ben Brady Lakeside Pavilion all the way to the “fairy village!”
- Fairy House Construction – Fairies are among us. Stop by the free play area and build a fairy house or gnome home during the Butterfly Festival. Fairy houses and gnome homes are made from nature objects for real and imaginary creatures. Nature materials provided; bring your imagination.
- Butterfly and Caterpillar Costume Parade – Come with your very best butterfly wings or your best caterpillar colors on and join us for our butterfly parade at the end of festival each day with grand marshal Ms. Chrysalis!
- Butterfly Plant Sale – Find the perfect host plants and nectar plants to take home to your garden to attract butterflies to your backyard! CNC Horticulture volunteers will be on-hand at the plant sale and in the butterfly garden to answer your questions about how to attract butterflies and other pollinators to your yard!
- Calling All Butterfly Detectives – Get outside in your backyard and see what you can find! Bring to the Nature Exchange at CNC during the Flying Colors Butterfly Festival to receive a surprise from the Nature Exchange! Download the form here.
MORE FESTIVAL FUN!
- Live Entertainment
- Food for the Family
- Bruster’s Real Ice Cream – Delicious, refreshing, fresh made ice cream! Supports CNC with 50% of proceeds!
- Jalapeno Corndog – Made fresh corndogs (veggie too!), funnel cakes, chicken fingers, fries & lemonade
- Saturday ONLY: Hail Caesar Food Truck will have fresh salads and wraps (click here for the menu) including vegetarian options
- Sunday ONLY: Incrediball Falafel will have Falafel, hummus, chicken sandwiches and more!
- King of Pops – Handmade all natural popsicles
- Brain Freezz Snowballs – New Orlean’s Original Sno-Cones – shaved ice served with a variety of sweet syrup toppings.
- Kathy Walton of Steel Arts– Recycled steel whimsical yard art and sculptures!
- Mary’s Garden Cottages– Butterfly puddlers, fairy and woodland cottages, toad houses, small planters & more!
- The Eclectic Oddyssey + HAS Design– Eclectic environmentally friendly arts and crafts. Butterfly and insect jewelry, candles, coasters, tutus and so much more! Items are recycled, reused, all natural and/or humanely obtained.
- Sweet Brown Sludge – Hair and skin care products that are hand made from all natural ingredients like aloe vera, brown sugar, marshmallow root and slippery elm extracts.
- Handcrafted 4 u in Georgia – Walking sticks, butterfly wind chimes, dream catchers and handcrafted jewelry.
- Fernbank Science Center – Come and find out all about the fun you can have at the science center!
- Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area – Learn about the various butterflies found along the Chattahoochee River, how they are related, and about their life cycle! Take a Butterfly Checklist with you and start keeping a life list of the different species in the river’s corridor.
- Webbington’s LLC – All Natural, low sugar, jams, jellies and preserves using raw honey and sugar for sweetness
- Georgia Nature Photographers Association – Find out information on photographing butterflies and check out some great photos of butterflies. You can find information out about the GA Nature Photographers Association too!
- Take a break from the heat, but not the butterflies! Nature Exchange is buzzing with fun!
- View our native butterfly collection
- Observe live insects and butterflies
- Experience ‘metamorphosis’ in our Changing Chrysalis
- Learn about butterflies
- Decorate a butterfly coloring sheet
- Take home a preserved butterfly
- Because of the busy nature of the festival, we will not be accepting trade-ins, but if you have points to spend you are welcome to shop Nature Exchange!
LAST MINUTE DETAILS
- Please Carpool! There is limited parking in the CNC parking lot. There will also be free shuttle bus service available from St. Francis School near the corner of Willeo/Azalea and Highway 120.
- Please note that there is not an ATM on site. Cash may be needed for some vendors including food
- Please note that pets are not allowed on the CNC grounds.
HELP US MAKE A SUCCESFUL FESTIVAL!
Vendor/Exhibitor Information: All vendor spaces are filled at this time, if you would like to be added to a wait list, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your contact information.
Questions? Contact email@example.com or 770-992-2055 ext. 236.