Come and explore the Chattahoochee Nature Center with your class for a fun-filled educational experience your students won’t soon forget. Educational programming is offered at the CNC Monday through Friday throughout the year. Programs are conducted rain or shine, with equivalent programming indoors in case of inclement weather. Please dress appropriately to be outdoors.
Why Program with the Chattahoochee Nature Center?
1. Meet Classroom Standards in A Fun and Engaging Way! All of our School Programs are correlated with GPS standards across all disciplines and our hands-on activities enhance science concepts for students. Our naturalists use interpretive techniques founded by the National Association of Interpretation to engage all audiences and ensure learning for everyone!
2. Program Variety! Your school can visit us at CNC for an onsite program, or we can come out to you through our outreach programs. Whether you are looking for a preschool program for your small group or intensive field studies for high school students, we have it all!
3. Hands on Learning! Research shows that students who experience science concepts in a hands-on manner increase their level of achievement. Our naturalists encourage students to explore and inquire!
4. Our Wildlife! Most school programs include an Animal Encounter from one of our Georgia native non-releasable wild animals. It’s an unforgettable experience for students, parents, and teachers!
5. Build A Strong Relationship with Our Local Environment! The National Science Foundation values environment-based education for the positive effect it can have on learning, and its impact on student performance in the following areas:
- impacts on science learning
- improvements in integrated learning
- improved language arts and reading
- improved thinking and motivation
- equalizing of academic progress across groups
- improved student attitudes and behavior
6. Great Resources! Be sure to download a Teacher Guide for your program from our education website. Your students will get more out of their experience with preparation and follow up using resources found in the guide.
7. Early Bird Benefits! Plan ahead and schedule an onsite or outreach program for anytime during the school year before September 30, 2014 and save 20% off programming fees!
9. Extension Programs! Check out one of our three Traveling Trunks for up to three weeks at your school. The Skunk Trunk, Bats Incredible Trunk, and Our Shared Forests Trunk are all packed with activities and curriculum – they are great additions to any lesson plans!
10. Great Feedback! Check out what teachers are saying about our School Programs!
All onsite program experience is conducted at the CNC and last 2 hours 30 minutes. Each program includes a 1 hour guided forest hike with hands-on learning activities, an up-close animal encounter, 30 minutes in our new Discovery Center, and 30 minutes to spend at lunch or touring our aviaries and gardens. All programs are GPS correlated for each grade.
Water Study Programs
Come and investigate the Chattahoochee River Watershed. We have several hands-on, interdisciplinary programs that will have your students pushing up their sleeves for a great day of exploration. All programs are GPS correlated for each grade. Water programs are limited to 80 students – maximum per time slot.
Using an inflatable planetarium, CNC educators will lead students on a journey through the night sky to view constellations, planets, and the solar system.
STARLAB can be done both onsite at the CNC or at your school. Please inquire about space limitations if booking the STARLAB as an outreach program. All programs are GPS correlated for each grade.
Any of the STARLAB programs can be adapted for Astronomy Club meetings or classes.
Transportation issues got you down? Not a problem. CNC naturalists can bring the same high-quality programming directly to you and your students! All of our onsite programs can be adapted for the classroom, and we also offer STARLAB and auditorium programs for larger groups. All programs are GPS correlated for each grade.
We provide prepackaged curriculum and activities you can rent from the CNC to use in your classroom for up to three weeks.
Do you want to bring the Chattahoochee Nature Center to your event or organization? Let us know how we can help bring Nature Alive!
The Chattahoochee Nature Center Community Outreach Program is perfect for Summer Day Camps, VBS-Church Programs, Club Functions, Boy and Girl Scouts, After-School Programs, Senior Centers, Festivals and Expos, Meetings and more!
Many of our Community Outreach programs are designed for all ages and can be tailored to fit your needs. We offer hands-on and lecture style programs depending on your audience. CNC will send a naturalist out to your event where they will bring biofacts and information as well as one of our non-releasable animals!